Friday, January 1, 2010

The "I'm not that big, am I?" Game



I think most of us have played it; the "I'm not that big sweetie, am I?" Game. Funny how you know when to ask the question, when you see someone that is WAY bigger than you are. I don't think it is anything against the other person. It is just something we all need every once and a while. We need to know we aren't the worst.

Well, since I have lost some weight sometimes the game changes into the "I wasn't that big was I?" game.

Why does this matter? I don't really know. If anyone has some psychological insight into why I want to ask this question of my spouse, please let me know.

Last night my husband and I were watching Nip/Tuck. It was an episode where the handsome and overly sexual Dr. Troy has sex with a fat woman named Lola. The show doesn't leave anything to the imagination...you pretty much see Lola in the full buff...and it is, well, she is a BIG girl.

And you know I asked it,

"Sweetie, I was never that big, was I?"

I think you can guess the answer I got. I love my husband's honesty, but for some reason when he said, "Weeeeell, she might be a little bigger than you were, but yeh, you were about that big." It hurt.

I'm not mad at my hubby. I mean, when I get to my goal weight and ask if I look as good as Scarlett Johanson...well, then I know he is going to be telling the truth when he says, "Hells to the yeah!" :)


Maybe it makes me so sad, because that big girl will always be a part of me. It is scary that she will always be a possibility. But you know what? Scarlett Johanson is another possibility...all be it one I haven't experienced yet, but I'm getting there.

This is my challenge to all of us who have played the "I'm not that big, am I?" game. No more people! No more comparing ourself to the worst possibility just so we can be reassured we aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel. We know what is good bout us...

I have a pretty complexion,
I have silky healthy hair,
Sometimes my eyes are really beautiful,
I can sing really well,
I have a pretty neck,
My hips are sexy!,
I have a sexy phone voice (lol)...

And the list goes one...that is right! The list goes on!!

We are beautiful. Even if our weight (or past weight) defines us to an extent...there are other things that define me too. And I don't have to focus on the bad, I can choose (just as I have chosen the opposite in the past) to focus on the good.

So there is a new game ladies and gentleman!

The...
"Sweetie? Am I as hot/sexy/beautiful/talented as....well, ME!"

And you know what? Being as hot/sexy/beautiful/talented as me...well, that is pretty freaking awesome!


I'll post my official New Years post later, but I wanted to get this one out there. Morning everybody :D

No comments:

Post a Comment